Thursday, March 25, 2010

I wish I was Dancing with the Stars

I guess you should know that I love Dancing With the Stars. (No, I mean it. I really love it. LOVE. IT.)

When I first heard about the show, I thought it sounded kind of lame. A bunch of has-beens or never-weres who learn to ballroom dance so that they can claim one more sad moment in the spotlight? Meh. I'll pass.

But, then the other half started rehearsing a show, and I was left with a lot of nights on my own with nothing on TV. NOTHING. ON. TV. (Why not read, you say? What?! And ruin my perfect record of doing nothing every single night?? For shame.) So I watched it.

It was awesome.

AWESOME.

No. Really. It was. It is.

(BTW, I love talking in capitals like Owen Meany. It's a problem.)

There's something really inspiring, and almost - magical - about watching people who are or who have been in the spotlight for whatever reason, get thrown into an arena where they know little or nothing, and see how they fare. The show, for me, is more about the personalities and how they adapt to a strange new situation. It's fascinating. And once you get hooked into their story, you are hooked. I mean, I love shows like American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance, but they are just good singers and dancers doing what they already do well. It's a whole other ballgame.

I love that although sometimes it may seem like the odds are in someone's favour, it doesn't mean that they succeed. Take the Olympic figure skater Evan, for example. Yes, he has good lines and knows how to use the space, but he was like a robot - no personality and no connections with his partner or the audience. And Shannon Doherty who, being an actor, should be able the work the charm but is so terrified of live performance that she breaks out in hives. And macho footballers like Chad who should be frighteningly awkward, but always manage to be one of the best out there. And poor Kate who everyone loves to hate, but she's just a mom trying her best (I love the drama surrounding that story. Is she out for another fifteen minutes? Is she trying to be sexy again after eight kids? Is she trying to make her ex jealous??)

It's such good fun, that I'm always surprised when I hear that people don't watch it, and don't want to. Of course, my idols growing up were Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse, Fred Astaire and Judy Garland. I spent hours wondering what it would be like to live inside one of the old musicals. The closest I'll ever get is being on that show. But you have to be a star first.

SUCKY.

They should totally let nobodies like me on. I'm gonna start a petition.

1 comment:

painted maypole said...

See, and I always thought Kate Gosslin WAS a Nobody.